This article focuses on the importance of image analysis for the inspection of non-woven materials.
Advances of modern vision systems
As quality control issues and standards grow in the non-woven industry the importance of inspection uniformity is undeniable. The old approach of manual inspection which is a subjective, tedious and time-consuming approach were traditionally employed to identify fabric defects. This older approach raised huge concerns over quality and efficiency, nowadays along with the rapid development in technology, image-based inspection has been widely employed for image processing and texture recognition on nonwovens, textiles and engineered fabrics.
Modern fast and accurate vision systems need to be employed for characterization of non-woven material. Some of the common fibre characteristics that modern vision systems can identify include:
- Blend irregularity in yarns.
- Pile-fibre distribution in silver-knitted fabrics.
- Non-woven structure characterization.
- Carpet texture evaluation.
- Fabric testing.
Key defects that a modern vision system can identify:
- Contamination detection.
- Fish eye detection.
- Broken filament detection.
- False color fibre detection.
- Scratch detection.
- Dent detection.
- Roping detection.
- Oil stain detection.
- Wrinkle detection.
- Drop detection.
- Coating defect detection.
- Streak detection.
- Holes by fibre break detection.
OneBoxVision non-woven application
Our non-woven inspection solutions can be installed on any production machine and can be completely configurable to match your needs. We give you the option to work with our project engineer to specify your entire system. Check out our whitepaper on specifying your system to learn how we implement this approach.
At OneBoxVision our non-woven inspection solutions have a number of key features that differentiate our solutions from the competition, these features include:
- Live visual display of material.
- Defects displayed and stored.
- Ability to snap an image of complete web or sheet for analysis.
- Option to stream full video of production to disk.
- Unlimited recipes for different products.
- Easy to use sensitivity adjustment.
- Last defect display.
- Alarm reset.
OneBoxVision can employ our vision system solutions on:
- Process Lines.
- Roll or sheet converting lines.
Our non-woven inspection solutions cater for all key non-woven segments:
- Filtration industry - Non-woven material offer many advantages in all types of filtration. Non-woven fabrics help remove contaminants from substances.
- Automotive industry - Nonwovens are used across the automotive industry including: trunk liner, cabin air filter, seat trim, floor mats, etc...
- Medical industry - Non-woven material is an ideal fit for what is necessary in the medical industry. Applications include; masks, gowns, drapes, etc...
- Personal care & Hygiene industry - A lot of personal hygiene products are composed of non-woven materials as they are durable, cost-effective, easy-to-use and lightweight.
Some of this article was refrenced from 'An Image Analysis for Inspecting Non-woven Defect' which was written by H. Y. Lai, J. H. Lin, C. K. Lu, S. C. Yao for the Graduate Institute of Textile Engineering, Feng Chia University, Taiwan. This article was later published by INDA, Asspciation Of The Non-woven Fabrics Industry.
OneBoxVision offer complete turnkey solutions for all of the key non-woven applications. Contact us today to learn more about our non-woven application.